3/23/2010

buttermilk waffles

These buttermilk waffles are from the original Joy of Cooking, which has the reputation of being a most reliable cookbook for basic recipes and techniques, but I don't use it much for things other than breakfast foods, baking recipes, and meat-cooking techniques.

In fact, I find the vegetables section hopelessly and hilariously dated -- lima bean casserole or cooked lettuce, anyone?

But after I give that section a chuckle, I move on to the 'griddle cakes' chapter, which includes lots of variations of pancakes, crepes, waffles, and, well, griddle cakes.

my fave combo of 1/2 berries and yogurt, 1/2 pure maple syrup

My small issue with buttermilk anything is that I'm left with half a carton of buttermilk to go bad in my fridge. But apparently, I could freeze leftover buttermilk and use it later with good results in baking and cooking. Have you tried this?

classic buttermilk waffles
makes 5-6 waffles

2 C flour
1/4 teas baking soda
1 1/2 teas double-acting baking powder
1 Tbs sugar
1/2 teas salt
2 eggs, separated
1 3/4 C buttermilk
6 Tbs melted butter

In large bowl, sift together flour, soda, powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, beat 2 egg yolks, then add and beat together buttermilk and melted butter. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.

In clean bowl, beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the batter, being careful not to swish too many of the air bubbles. Cook batter in waffle iron.

3 comments:

Glenda said...

What about just cheating and making it from regular milk, with a tbsp (per cup) of vinegar or lemon juice thrown in? I do this for baking and it works just as well... IYHO, is there a reason that I should invest in the real stuff next time I make blueberry buttermilk muffins? :)

I have only the first volume of a 70's copy of the Joy of Cooking that was given to my mother by my grandfather... but it only includes the meats and a few baked goods, so I don't get the fun of all those dated veg recipes! :)

Tiffany said...

Glenda: if buttermilk is just a minor ingredient, I usually substitute for milk + lemon too. But if it's a major ingredient, like if it's in the title of the recipe, then I assume the real deal will do more for overall flavour.

Hows about you conduct a test kitchen experiment with your blueberry buttermilk muffins and let me know what your taste testers find!

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,

You can drink buttermilk. It is very good for you.
From Tory