12/18/2006

adventures in hat-making

Warning: This is a knitting-nerd post -- all ye non-knitters may want to just skip to the end for pictures of finished product. :)

This darling little hat (link & scroll down) by Sarah intimidated me with its provisional cast on and a folded picot edge. I could do the picot edge -- just some yarn overs -- but the whole provisional thing was throwing me for a loop. So, as you will see, I took the tedious route...

Instead of casting onto circular needles, I cast onto straight needles with waste yarn (the black yarn). Then, switching colours, I knit up 4 rows (in stockinette, 'cause it's on straight needles), did my row of yarn overs to make the picot edge, then knit 4 more in stockinette...

To fold the hem, I transferred all of those pink stitches that you can see in the waste yarn onto my dpns, then I could knit together one st from the live needle and one st from the dpn, thereby creating my beautiful folded hem...


Then came the humdrum task of carefully ripping out all of my waste yarn...

But when I went to join in the round, I realized my yarn was on the wrong side. DOH! I have to purl this entire hat from the inside? Grrrr.

I was a few inches in on this purling endeavour that I said SCREW IT! And started over with an easy-peasy rolled edge. I was a bit sad to see the picot go, but at least now I have a finished hat for little Reenie Roo (and one that I didn't swear while making).



1 comment:

Glenda said...

I think the rolled brim is just as cute as the picot edge one! and that button is just divine - where ever did you get it?! (hee hee!)

we'll figure out that provisional cast on one of these days! :)

hey, any ideas for a yummy Xmas dessert? I've gotta cook for Mike's mom tomorrow!