1/12/2008

pannukakku

I've eaten my fair share of pannukakku over the years -- it's basically a Finnish pancake. The gooey, slightly sweet pancake seems to be a mainstay in immigrant families like mine.

Pannukakku is traditionally served with fresh lemon juice and icing sugar (where they grow lemons in Finland, I don't know). While I love it that way, I also enjoy it with grapefruit segments and powdered sugar, applesauce, berries of some sort, and just plain syrup. Any way you slice it, it's good cookin' and easy as all get out.


pannukakku
serves 4

1/4 C unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 C milk
1 C flour
3 Tbs sugar
1/2 teas salt

Put butter into a 9 x 13" baking dish. Place in oven and preheat oven to 400, melting the butter in the pan.

Sift together flour, sugar, and salt in small bowl. Break eggs into other, medium-sized bowl. Beat eggs until frothy. Whisk flour mixture into eggs, alternately with the milk, until all ingredients are well combined. Beat with whisk until no lumps remain. Pour into heated pan with melted butter.

Bake until bubbly, brown, and slightly inflated (25-30 mins). Top will fall as it cools. Serve warm, with fixin's of your choice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting this! My grandmother used to make pannukakku for breakfast when we'd go over to her house for the holidays. She's since passed, and the recipe has been lost. I can't wait to make this and top it with homemade raspberry preserves!

Tiffany said...

Dorothy,
Glad to hear it! I hope it's as you remember it.
Tiffany