1/23/2008

rosemary crisps

Have you heard of Lesley Stowe? She's a fine food guru here in Vancouver who happens to make the most amazing crackers -- raincoast crisps. Not sure how widely they are available, but do yourself a huge favour and try a box if you ever get the chance. Wow.

But a warning -- the crisps aren't cheap. In fact, given the hefty price tag for this artisanal food item, few could afford to indulge.

Just when I had given up hope -- and was about to take the vow of poverty for the sake of more crisps -- one of Jeff's coworkers shared this recipe that she found in a local magazine. I was exceedingly
happy to find that someone had published a recipe for imitation crisps. Not sure exactly where it comes from, but in the spirit of sharing, I'll pass it along.


I know it seems fussy to make crackers when you can buy a box of wheat thins for less than 3 bucks, but trust me, it is worth the indulgence just this once. And while you're at it, try these crisps with a spread of St. Andre cheese (or with Camembert or Brie) -- creaminess compliments crunchiness.


rosemary crisps (à la Lesley Stowe)
makes about 8 dozen crackers

2 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 C buttermilk
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C honey
1 C raisins (I used a mix of golden raisins and dried cranberries)
1/2 C chopped pecans
1/2 C roasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
1/4 C sesame seeds
1/4 C flaxseed, ground
1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary

Preheat oven 350 degrees. In large bowl, sift together flour, soda, and salt. Add buttermilk, sugar, and honey. Stir a few strokes, then add the rest of ingredients, stirring until just blended.

Pour batter into two 4x8 loaf pans that have been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake for 45 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from pans and let cool on wire rack.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. When completely cool, slice the loaves as thin as possible. Place slices on an ungreased cookie sheet in a single layer. (You could just slice one loaf and wrap the second loaf to store in the freezer for later.) Bake slices for 15 minutes, then turn over and bake 10 minutes more. Crackers will be crisp and deep golden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, since I found your recipe I have made it numerous times. They are a staple in our house and I never buy crackers anymore except for Stoned Wheat thins. I cut the loaf in half lengthwise so the crackers are small and great for snacking as you pass through the kitchen!!
I have also passed the link on to many friends.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post it. The originals are great as well but paying $7 for cracker crumbs seems a bit over the top!

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you're getting good use of this recipe! I know I keep making them too.

Good idea on cutting the loaf in half. I should try that -- it might make them last longer. =)