2/02/2007

hum*mmm*mus

I don't put raw garlic in anything I eat, because I (and those around me) would regret it. But there is an exception to every rule and my exception is hummus (okay, and baba ganoush). The dip simply requires the heartiness of great garlic. But no need to overdo it --a little clove is plenty.

I can only assume this says "tahini" :)
(this wasn't hard to find -- check your grocery store)

hummus

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small garlic clove, roughly chopped
pinch of ground cumin
pinch of ground nutmeg
a few Tbs olive oil
2Tbs tahini
a couple Tbs water
freshly squeezed lemon juice (1/2 lemon, maybe more)
coarse salt


...............before...........................and after.............

Put all ingredients into a food processor. Press the button and voila -- you have hummus! Get the right consistency and flavour by adjusting the ingredients. Remember, the flavours will get more potent the longer it sits (that's a warning for anyone who's tempted to add another clove of garlic.) Enjoy with crackers, warm pita, fresh veggies...mmm.

No comments: