3/05/2011

diy deodorant

I smell like lavender. It's lovely, really. I'll let you know how it turns out in the long run, but right now I smell like lavender.

I've been wanting to try making deodorant for a while now. None of the 'natural' deodorants that I've tried really work that great, it bugs me that none of their plastic is recyclable, and I'm kind of scared of the ingredients in anti-persperants.

When I came across this recipe, I was inspired. I talked a friend into splitting the first batch: hippy party, check.

We had some trouble sourcing the cocoa butter (at a price we were willing to pay) and after much discussion with folks who seemed to know what they were talking about, we got talked into coconut oil instead. I was a little worried about having to cover up the scent of coconut (not my fave) instead of cocoa bean, but it was actually shea butter's strong scent that was the holdout. But given enough lavender essential oil, even shea butter can be knocked down to just a hint.


homemade deodorant
adapted from Amy Karol's recipe
makes enough for 2-125ml jam jars

4 Tbs shea butter
4 Tbs baking soda
2 2/3 Tbs corn starch
2 2/3 Tbs coconut oil
essential oil

Add all of the ingredients except the essential oil in a small glass bowl and melt in the microwave for about 20 seconds (coconut oil gets hot quickly.) Stir well. Start adding the essential oil and keep adding and stirring until it's the desired scent. Pour into jars and put in the fridge to set. Once it's cool, you can store it at room temperature (but it won't be as solid as in the fridge.)

No comments: